Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Chile Relleno in Guajillo Sauce


I used to bake my chile rellenos but I used a different method for this one and prefer it much better. After peeling the skin and stuffing it with cheese and vegetables, I toothpicked the opening together and then lightly dusted with flour. In a hot cast iron skillet with a LITTLE oil, I cooked the chile toothpick-side-down FIRST. That way, when you flip it, you don't have to flip it again after the cheese has begun melting. This cooking method gives it a nice dryer, firmer skin as opposed to my old baking method where the skin gets soggy and steamed.

The sauce is a guajillo chili sauce so it's rich and smoky. I pan-roasted two guajillo chilis in a dry cast iron skillet with 5 cloves of garlic in their skins. After they were hot and fragrant, I removed the stems and seeds from the chilis and put them in water for 15 minutes to rehydrate. Then, with the garlic and about 1 cup of water, I pureed them in the food processor. I also added lime juice, salt, roasted tomatoes and onions. I strained the mixture so the sauce was more refined.

No comments: