Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Pizza II

I continue my self-education in the process of pizza. It's definitely fun but it's definitely a science. Not so much the measuring part but more so the approach and ingredient part. A true neapolitan margherita consists of nothing more than flour, water, salt, and yeast. The toppings consist of exactly: San Marzano DOP tomatoes, basil, oregano, certified mozzarella di bufala, and parmesano reggiano.

This dough does not follow that style because I learned from another recipe and it's been working so I haven't ventured outside of my comfort zone. It does contain oil and sugar.

I am happy with the crust. Although I don't have an 850F wood-fired oven (which can cook a pizza in under TWO MINUTES), I have been able to get decent results thru testing in an electronic oven. Because my oven doesn't create enough ambient heat obviously to cook a pizza in 2 minutes, I need to parbake my dough FIRST for about 8 minutes and then put the sauce and cheese on for a few final minutes. Otherwise the cheese and sauce will burn.



No comments: