Thursday, March 26, 2009

Hamachi Nigiri

Growing up we ate rice every single day. And if I didn't like what was on the table, at least I got rice. I was perfectly content with heavily buttered, soy-sauced rice. Hey, that's how white people eat it.

When I moved out of my mom's house, I never had room or enough of my own space for a rice cooker. I learned to make rice in a pot on the stove but, other than basmati, all other rice dishes tended to be on the soggy, crusty side. Persian people pay a lot for the crust, and when they do, it's called Tadiq. The soggy? Not so prized.

I love making sushi but it's always been ... eh ... because of the rice. Too dense, too sticky, doesn't hold. So I bit the bullet and bought a rice cooker. It's the best decision I ever made. My nigiri are a significant percentage better and I aim to keep improving.

It's nice to buy a $9 bit of hamachi that makes 10 pieces, rather than a $12 order that yields 4 pieces.

No comments: