Thursday, April 23, 2009

Spicy Hamachi Gunkan-Zushi

You people know how much I love my hamachi. All 5 of you. Well I really love it - and most recently - I love it in my spicy tuna mixture. It's really easy but you need to eye the ingredients to suit your own tastes. Just dice up hamachi (yellowtail) and mix with kewpie (japanese mayo), sriracha, chili oil, soy sauce, yuzu, and add salt and pepper.

You can buy Kewpie in any Japanese market. It's a squeeze bottle with a red lid. Yuzu itself is either really expensive or hard to find so I use a yuzu citrus vinegar that is way more citrus than vinegar. Try looking for a "Yuzu Ponzu".

Sriracha should be in every cupboard and chili oil is my favorite to cook with, especially when making Kim Chee Gyoza.

Put in the liquid ingredients a little at a time because you don't want your mixture too runny with soy sauce and yuzu.

Also to wrap, just make a small oval of sushi rice (like you would for nigiri) and wrap a strip of nori (seaweed) around it leaving a negative space on top and then spoon in your topping.

No comments: